ICARDA is a non-profit international agricultural research center in a worldwide consortium of 15 centers supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The CGIAR is co-sponsored by the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). With a staff of over 400 scientists and support personnel, representing more than 45 nationalities, ICARDA addresses two key areas of agricultural research: germplasm improvement (cereals and legumes) and natural resource management. The Center has a global mandate for barley, lentil and faba bean improvement, and a regional mandate for the improvement of wheat, chickpea and forage and pasture legumes. A major emphasis is placed on the conservation and management of land and water, and improved productivity of small ruminants in integrated farming systems in dry areas. The Center’s research and training programs are implemented in partnership with national programs and, in most cases, with other CGIAR centers as well as advanced research institutes in both developing and industrialized countries.
The Executive Assistant will be reporting to the Director General (DG), as well as the Board Chair on matters related to the Board of Trustees. The position holder will be based at ICARDA’s headquarters and main research station, located 30 km south of Aleppo, Syria.
The successful candidate will:
• develop and maintain an efficient and interactive communication system between the DG and the CGIAR
• assist the DG in meetings and outreach activities
• assist the DG in preparing presentations and speeches on various issues relating to the Center and for diverse forums
• serve as Secretary to the Board of Trustees (BOT) and prepare documentation for the BOT meetings in consultation with the DG and the Board Chair
• maintain regular contact with Board members and provide them with updated information on the Center
• perform other duties assigned by the DG and the Board Chair
Qualifications and Skills Required
• An advanced degree in any field of agriculture or a related discipline, with proven record of scientific and administrative excellence
• Excellent communication (including writing and presentation) skills
• Thorough knowledge of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR)
• Strong analytical, managerial, interpersonal, and computing skills
• Ability to function effectively under pressure in a multicultural setting, and a commitment to meet deadlines
• Minimum of five years working experience in an international organization
• Ability to communicate effectively in English (a working knowledge of Arabic will be an advantage)
• Willingness to travel as and when necessary
Terms of Appointment
The appointment will be for an initial period of one year, renewable thereafter annually. The salary is paid in US dollars. Benefits include housing allowance, paid home leave travel, a pension scheme, life and health insurance package, vehicle for business and personal use, and free enrollment for dependent children in the ICARDA-administered international school (KG to Grade 12).
Living in Aleppo
Aleppo is Syria’s second largest city. Syria has many historical and archaeological sites, some a short drive from Aleppo. There are four distinct seasons and the terrain varies from desert to mountains to fertile fruit orchards. Major international airlines fly into Damascus and Aleppo. In addition to the internationally-accredited school, ICARDA runs a sports and social club for the staff.
Method of Application
Qualified applicants should download and complete the ICARDA employment application form (MS Word or PDF, and for local users MS Word or PDF), and send with a recent photograph and any other relevant supporting documents (non-returnable) to:
ICARDA, P. O. Box 5466, Aleppo, Syria
Telephone: (963-21) 2213477, 2225112, or 2225012
Fax: (963-21) 2213490, 2225105, or 5744622
E-mail: [email protected]
1. If sending application by e-mail, please do not include graphics or other large file attachments.
2. Quote reference INT-P/0624/06 on application (or in subject line if applying by e-mail).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The deadline is 15 November 2006, but applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified.
ICARDA is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from women.