The Science Education Institute is set to unveil the Gawad LIDER (Leadership and Innovations for Development and Reform) in Science Education. It is designed as a recognition and incentive program and shall be awarded to those who have blazed career-long leadership pathways in science education as well as those who enriched Philippine science education with their breakthroughs and innovations in the field.
This year, 2005, a nationwide search was launched and shall culminate with the conferment of the first Gawad LIDER honorees in time for the 2006 NSTW activities.
The following are its objectives:
1. To identify the individuals or groups that possess the vision and creativity to motivate others and to meet educational challenges;
2. To identify outstanding innovations in the teaching of science education;
3. To recognize individuals and/or groups that have either shown a solid track record of leadership in science education or that have developed and introduced significant innovations using S&T applications to improve the delivery of education; and
4. To inspire and motivate others to follow the path of outstanding leaders in science education as well as those who have made significant contributions toward improving the general state of education in the Philippines.
The Gawad LIDER shall have two categories: the Exemplary Leadership Award and the Innovation Award. The first type shall have subcategories for individuals and institutions/groups. However, the second type shall be open for both individual and group nominees.
Those interested in submitting nominations may secure official nomination forms at the Science Education Institute, DOST Regional Offices, and online at http://www.gawadlider.net
The following are the prizes at stake:
Exemplary Leadership Award
1. Individual category – Ph P100, 000 and trophy
2. Institution/group category – Ph P100, 000 and trophy
1. Gold – Ph P100, 000
2. Silver – Ph P50, 000
3. Bronze – Ph P 25, 000