The National Science and Technology Week’s Scientific Meetings, organised by the Philippines Department of Science and Technology was held on July 15, 2005 at the Westin Philippine Plaza, Pasay City, Philippines.
Among the topics discussed were:
- Application of Informatics for Crop Improvement Using Genetic Engineering by Dr. Pablito M. Magdalita of the Institute of Plant Breeding, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), Laguna, Philippines
- Opportunities and Challenges in the Banana Industry by Dr. Agustin B. Molina, Jr., Regional Coordinator, International Network for the Improvement of Banana and Plaintain
- Engineering Initiative for the Food Small and Medium Entrepreneurs by Engr. Jose Bautista, Chief of Food Processing Division, Industrial Technology Development Institute, Department of Science and Technology.
- Marine Microorganisms: A New Frontier for Drug Discovery by Dr. Giselle Concepcion, Associate Professor of the University of the Philippines - Marine Science Institute, UP Diliman, Quezon City
- Earthquake and Volcano Hazards and Risk Mitigation Initiatives of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS-DOST) by Dr. Ma. Leonila P. Bautista, Associate Scientists, PHIVOLCS
- Weather Forecasting Techniques by Mr. Nathaniel A. Cruz, Chief, Weather Branch, Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAG-ASA)-DOST
- Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI) Initiatives on Radiological Emergencies and Nuclear Terrorism by Mrs. Eulinia M. Valdezco, Chief, Nuclear Regulations, Licensing, and Safeguards Division, PNRI-DOST
- National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) Disaster Management: Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the General Public by Col. Elma C. Aldea, Administrator, Office of Civil Defense and Executive Director, NDCC