The Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) invites applications for postdoctoral fellows or research associates in their thematic research area of Climate Change and Sustainable Development.
AIT is in the process of consolidating, strengthening and expanding research in response to climate change in the areas of technology, policy and planning, managerial and institutional arrangements. This will be in climate change science, adaptation and mitigation of green house emission, vulnerability and resilience aspects. In this effort, AIT plans to continue its work in an interdisciplinary manner, cutting across research that explores:
* How science influences policy, economic planning for governance and enabling mechanisms;
* Application of energy efficient and renewable energy technologies, linking rational energy use to adaption/impact of climate change vulnerability in a geographic context;
* Building resilience in urban, rural and coastal communities and social groups;
* Research on increasing carbon sequestering, including appropriate agricultural practices through selection and management of crops and vegetation, assessment of GHG emission in rice-based farming systems;
* Efficient technologies for treating waste which mitigates GHG emissions and facilitates energy recovery;
* Efficient use of water resources, water hydrology, land use;
* Biofuel and food security challenges;
* Linkages to Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s);
* Planning for new cities and other infrastructure development, prevention of further investments on unsuitable locations and vulnerability mapping using GIS;
* Use of sensors and nanotechnology-based devices for detecting of atmospheric changes;
* Business opportunities as a result of climate change adaptation and mitigation, etc.
Positions are open to individuals with recent PhD degrees in a relevant area which may go beyond those mentioned above. Candidates working in new evolving interdisciplinary areas of research are encouraged to apply. The initial period of the appointment will be for a period of one year and may be extended depending on the potential seen in the candidate to work independently, attract funding for the projects, and produce publications derived from the work carried out at AIT, etc. The compensation and benefits to the candidates will depend on experience and qualifications.
Interested candidates should email curriculum vitae including the names and contact information of 3 references. Candidates should also provide a brief write up on the research he/she expects to carry out in the near future. This should include how such work can help AIT create a niche for itself in the area and enlarge the knowledge base. The names of agencies which may be able to support such work should also be included. The positions will remain open until suitable candidates are selected. Clarification, if any, may be sort from Prof. S.K.Rakshit, Vice President, Research, [email protected]. Please send in your applications to [email protected].