ICARDA is a non-profit international agricultural research center in a worldwide consortium of 15 centers, supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The CGIAR is co-sponsored by the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). With a staff of over 400 scientists and support personnel, representing more than 45 nationalities, ICARDA addresses two key areas of agricultural research: germplasm improvement (cereals and legumes) and natural resource management. The Center has a global mandate for barley, lentil and faba bean improvement, and a regional mandate for the improvement of wheat, chickpea and forage and pasture legumes. A major emphasis is placed on the conservation and management of land and water, and improved productivity of small ruminants in integrated farming systems in dry areas. The Center’s research and training programs are implemented in partnership with national programs and, in most cases, with other CGIAR centers as well as advanced research institutes in both developing and industrialized countries.
ICARDA is seeking a Director of Finance (DOF), who will be based at the headquarters in Aleppo, Syria, and be reporting to the Director General. Since the current DOF will retire in December 2006, ICARDA hopes to fill the position about three months before then to ensure a smooth transition. The DOF would be primarily required to plan, lead, integrate, and coordinate the financial services of the Center. He/she would thus have overall responsibility for providing high quality managerial and financial services to the research programs and units, the Director General (DG), and the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the Center. As a member of ICARDA’s senior management team, along with the DG, the Assistant Directors General, and the Director of Corporate Services, the DOF would be actively involved in the strategic planning and overall guidance of the Center, and in developing and implementing an innovative and productive resource mobilization strategy. The DOF will perform the following specific duties:
• Formulating, recommending and implementing sound financial control policy for ICARDA
• Advising the Director General on all matters relating to the finances of the Center
• Liaising with ICARDA’s independent auditors
• Ensuring that all financial accounts and records at the headquarters and outreach locations meet management, donor and other stakeholder requirements
• Ensuring that all accounting operations are effectively and efficiently performed
• Maintaining effective financial control over the assets and liabilities, income and disbursements of the Center
• Preparing and maintaining periodic financial, analytical, and interpretive reports for the Management
• Providing statistical and analytical services to the programs, departments, and units, and assisting them in the formulation of project budgeting
• Setting high standards of professional, technical, and business conduct for the departmental staff
Qualifications and Experience
• At least a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (an MBA or similar postgraduate degree is preferred) with additional professional accounting qualifications such as CPA or CA
• Minimum of 10 years international experience in finance and administration, five of which must be at the senior management level
• Formal training in management systems and procedures
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Proficiency in the use of computerized information systems (knowledge of Oracle would be an advantage)
• Fluency in spoken and written English (knowledge of Arabic and/or French would be an advantage)
Terms of Appointment
The appointment will be for an initial period of three years, renewable thereafter annually. The salary is paid in US dollars. Benefits include housing allowance, paid home leave travel, a pension scheme, life and health insurance, vehicle for business and personal use, and free enrollment for dependent children in the ICARDA-administered international school (KG to Grade 12).
Living in Syria
ICARDA’s headquarters is situated 30 km south of Aleppo, Syria’s second largest city. In addition to the internationally accredited school, ICARDA runs a Sports and Social Club for the staff. Syria has many historical and archaeological sites, some a short drive from Aleppo. There are four distinct seasons, and the terrain varies from desert to mountains to fertile fruit orchards. Major international airlines fly into Damascus and Aleppo.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates should download and complete the ICARDA employment application form ((MS Word or PDF) and send it with a recent photograph and any other relevant supporting documents (non-returnable) to:
ICARDA, P.O. Box 5466, Aleppo, Syria
Telephone: (963-21) 2213477, 2225112, or 2225012
Fax: (963-21) 2213490, 2225105, or 5744622
E-mail: [email protected]
1. If sending application by e-mail, please do not include graphics or other large file attachments.
2. Quote reference INT-P/8079/06 on application (or in subject line if applying by e-mail).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be received by 30 June 2006, or until the suitable candidates are identified.
ICARDA is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
17 May 2006