The Eighth International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific (ICAAP)
Colombo, Sri Lanka - ICAAP is a major Asia regional conference that brings together scientific researchers, community activists, health professionals, governments, agency and faith communities representatives in search of more effective strategies and increased political commitment to the problems of the HIV pandemic in the Asia-Pacific region.
The Eighth International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific (ICAAP) will be held in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 19-23 August 2007. ICAAP is a major Asia regional conference that brings together scientific researchers, community activists, health professionals, governments, agency and faith communities representatives in search of more effective strategies and increased political commitment to the problems of the HIV pandemic in the Asia-Pacific region. The 8th ICAAP provides extensive opportunities for sharing and networking across all levels of care and response to the epidemic in the Asia-Pacific region.
The theme of the 8th ICAAP, scheduled to take place in Colombo, Sri Lanka, is Waves of Change, Waves of Hope.
The waves are a mighty and integral part of the host country, the island nation of Sri Lanka.
Waves of Change signify many things happening; many things in motion, while taking into account milestones in the past and creating new ones for the future, new work-plans, timelines and a future for the HIV and AIDS community and the general public.
It also implies that there is a mass of activity that needs to be carried out to change the world; creating a ripple-effect that would encompass the whole globe. Like the ebb and the flow of waves, global activity to prevent, control, battle and treat HIV and AIDS could also be adapted to suit each and every society, community, nation or region. Such action like the endless sea could cross continents but at the same time be culture specific, bringing about change, a new vision and victory against this disease.
The colours of the logo represent the different communities in the AIDS response. Deep blue - the scientific community and saffron - the communities that are infected, affected and vulnerable to HIV and AIDS who are grounded in diverse realities. The splashes of colour around the Red ribbon symbolize the synthesized and multi disciplinary nature of the response that is required to achieve a world that is more caring, loving, responsible for one another and willing to share with each other as an interdependent whole.
The theme in its entirety gives the powerful imagery of a sea of humanity sharing a common vision to create a better world, a world free from AIDS.
OVERALL OBJECTIVES OF THE CONGRESS
Within the theme "Waves of Change - Waves of Hope" the 8th ICAAP aims -
To enhance the local, regional and global response to HIV/AIDS by creating an opportunity:
• to achieve meaningful exchanges of expertise, experiences, advances, lessons learnt, challenges faced and successes achieved in HIV/AIDS programmes
• to form meaningful and sustainable partnerships between stakeholders at all levels
• to showcase achievements and successes and share best practices
• to empower and strengthen political, community and business leadership, adopting a consultative, collaborative and participatory approach
• to ensure that communities that are infected, affected and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and their families are free from stigmatization, marginalization and discrimination by addressing political, social, economic and cultural barriers and working towards societies in which they can enjoy the full range of human rights and protections as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and associated Protocols
• to promote equal access to prevention, support, treatment and care for all people
8th ICAAP Organising Committee
The 8th ICAAP Secretariat
320/1, Union Place,
First Floor, Galaha Building,
Tel: (94 11) 5668570-3,
(94 11) 5669618 ( Registrations )
(94 11) 2478455,
(94 11) 4947878
Fax: (94 11) 2478455
General Inquiries - [email protected]
Congress Registration - [email protected]
Communications - [email protected]
Media - [email protected]
Scholarships - [email protected]
Scientific Programme - [email protected]
Skills Building - [email protected]
Symposia - [email protected]
Satellite Meetings - [email protected]
Exhibitions - [email protected]
Youth Programme - [email protected]
Finance - [email protected]
Volunteers - [email protected]
Accommodations - [email protected]