TAXONOMIST & ECOLOGIST CONFERENCE 2011
The Faculty of Resource Science and Technology, UNIMAS, will be hosting the 2011 Taxonomist and Ecologist Conference on 19 - 20 April, 2011. Interested individuals are called to submit their abstracts on a range of topics.
Taxonomists are biologists concerned with the naming and classifying of diverse forms of life on earth while ecologists are concern on how organisms live and interact with other organisms and with their environment. Through collections, descriptions and detailed observations, these scientists decipher relationship between and within species. Recently new tools like genetic sequencing and other sophisticated equipments in ecological studies help taxonomists to decipher some of life’s most hidden secrets, interrelationships and explanation of their interactions and response to the environment. Both taxonomy and ecology have become increasingly important particularly in Malaysia, to achieve optimum utilization and effective conservation strategies of biological resources.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
• Post graduate students
• To encourage academicians, researchers and post graduate students to present, exchange and sharing their update scientific and technological finding in the field of taxonomy and ecology.
• To provide a platform and forum for academicians, researchers and postgraduate students for sharing their experience and establishing networks/links among them.
AREAS/SCOPE OF CONFERENCE
Related to taxonomy and ecology:
• Taxonomy studies
• Conventional approaches
• Molecular approaches
CALL FOR PAPERS/POSTERS
Those interested in presenting papers or posters at the conference are required to send their abstracts.
Please note the following important dates:
18 February 2011 Submission of abstracts
18 March 2011 Submission of full papers
25 February 2011 Notification of acceptance
Auditorium CAIS, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
Abstracts and papers:
Abstracts should be written in English. Please submit abstracts and full papers to the secretariat
Please prepare abstract and full papers as follows:
• Text to be prepared in Microsoft Word, Times New Roman
• Title - bold, 12 pt and in upper case letters
• Author’s name(s) - bold and 11 pt
• Author’s address(es) - 10 pt, no abbreviation, if more than one author indicate address of each author numerically in superscript and include the e-mail address of the corresponding author.
• Text of abstract - 11 pt, no abbreviation, no references, single paragraph, maximum 400 words. Scientific names should be italicized. Use standard symbols
for measurements and the International
• Guide line for full paper preparation as attached.
• Full paper maximum - 8 pages
Each speaker will be given 20 minutes for oral presentation using Microsoft Power Point.
Poster should be printed in A1 size, portrait layout
Conference fee will covers programme book, abstracts, conference kit:
Registration fee: Full RM600; Students RM350
Cheque /payment should be made payable to BENDAHARI, UNIVERSITI MALAYSIA SARAWAK and send to:
Taxonomist and Ecologist Conference 2011
Faculty of Resource Science & Technology
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
Email: [email protected]
Fax: +60 82 583160
Grand Margherita Hotel +60 82 423111
Hilton Kuching Hotel +60 82 248200
Harbour View Hotel +60 82 274666
Riverside Majestic Hotel +60 82 247777
Pullman Hotel +60 82 222888
Tune Hotel +603 7962 5888
* Transports will be provided - pick-up point at Riverside Majestic Hotel
** Also available - UNIMAS International Hostel (RM30 /night) - for more details, please contact secretariat of Taxonomist and Ecologist Conference 2011.