International Higher Education Policy Research and Management Forum
The USM Penang HE Forum will provide an opportunity for higher education policy researchers and administrators to discuss issues pertaining to higher education which are of importance in their respective countries.
Theme: Higher Education in the Asia Pacific and Networked Society
This International Higher Education Policy Research and Management Forum (The USM Penang HE Forum) is a follow-up to the successful two-day Malaysia-Australia higher education forum, which was held on 2nd-4th November 2005 at the University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia and hosted by the Centre for Asia Pacific Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS).
It was decided at the Wollongong meeting that the forthcoming research forum to be organised by the National Higher Education Research Institute (IPPTN) in Penang will gather higher education researchers and experts from the Asia Pacific region to deliberate on higher education issues with a view to undertaking collaborative research effort among countries in this region.
We consider as very important for IPPTN, with the collaboration of other higher education research institutes in the Asia Pacific region, to initiate an effort to network higher education researchers and administrators from the CLMV Countries (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam) with their counterpart in other countries in this region. This novel idea is clearly reflected in the theme of this The USM Penang HE Forum 2006.
To ensure the success of The USM Penang HE Forum, the participation, support, co-operation and collaboration from other higher education research institutes in the Asia Pacific, the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia and Universiti Sains Malaysia are very critical.
The USM Penang HE Forum will provide an opportunity for higher education policy researchers and administrators to discuss issues pertaining to higher education which are of importance in their respective countries. Important lessons could be learned from the experiences of other countries in the Asia Pacific. Alternatively, researchers and administrators may want to deliberate on higher education issues on a multi-country basis (e.g., Japan-Malaysia, Japan-Australia-Vietnam etc.).
The intended outcomes of The USM Penang HE Forum are to:
- develop a regional networking and engagement on higher education issues between countries in the Asia Pacific
- explicate emerging higher education issues and problems in the region
- develop multi-country approach to understanding and solving higher education problems in the region
- develop capacity building for CLMV Countries in higher education policy research and management
- publish papers presented to document the forum
Participants of the forum will include individuals and organisations from countries in the Asia Pacific region, comprising academicians, researchers, policy makers/administrators/managers at the institutions of higher learning or at sub-ministerial level and post-graduate students.
Themes of the Forum
The following are some of the themes that have been identified for The USM Penang HE Forum:
- Interconnected knowledge and research: research policy and directions and the dilemmas for Australia, Malaysia and other partners in the Asia Pacific.
- Connecting with the environment: higher education, the environment and sustaining sustainability.
- Networking and linking to broader knowledge community: links of lifelong learning, “second chance” learning in adult education.
- Maintaining the standard of higher education in the Asia Pacific: quality assurance of transnational education.
- Interconnecting global communities: ICT and emerging technologies of learning.
- Interconnections and global diversity: intercultural implications emerging from internationalisation for teaching/research.
- Governance and leadership in higher education.
- Professionalism in teaching and leadership.
- Gender and inclusion in higher education research in the Asia Pacific.
- Networks, funding, resourcing and the governance of higher education in the Asia Pacific: Private exchange or public goods? Public corporation of private enterprises?
Venue: Dewan Persidangan Universiti, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, MALAYSIA
Further Information and Enquiries
Please direct all enquiries to Forum Secretariat or Forum Chairperson:
Professor Dr. Morshidi Sirat
National Higher Education Research Institute (IPPTN),
Suite 109A, 1st Floor, EUREKA Complex,
Universiti Sains Malaysia,
11800 Minden, Penang,
Tel: 0604-6590534/6534090 Fax: 0604-6590532
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]