Centre for Development and Ethnic Studies (CDES)
The Centre for Development and Ethnic Studies (CDES) is an independent think tank and study centre founded in 2012 to generate ideas on democracy, human rights and federalism as an effective vehicle for “Peace and Reconciliation” in the Union of Burma/Myanmar.
- Establishment of a democratic federal union that ensures democracy, national equality, and internal self-determination.
- Establishment of good governance that ensures peace, security, and stability.
- Ending more than 60 years long armed conflicts in Myanmar.
- Building national reconciliation among diverse ethnic, religious and language groups.
- Sharing and implementing the values of sustainable development through education, applied research, community engagement, and involvement of indigenous wisdom.
- To engage in research and publication on democratic principles, gender equality, human rights and federalism to disseminate knowledge.
- To initiate programs and activities to assist the strengthening of good governance and evolving meaningful policies to make effective autonomy and internal self-determination in member states of Union.
- To organize policy studies to advance public policy for peace, security, stability, and development.
- To conduct forums and conference for the development of the rule of law, human rights, democracy, and gender equality.
- To actively engage marginalized sectors, especially women and youth in political issues in general and in the peace process in particular.
- To provide technical assistance and research-based knowledge to the peace process and the political dialogues aiming to end the armed conflicts.
- To initiate and engage in programs to promote and develop democratic and political academic institutions.
- To develop new strategies and communication networks to strengthen communication between ethnic areas and central Myanmar.
- To empower the civil society and influence sustainable development values towards more enabling environment for civil society development in order to ensure sustainable and functioning democracies in the country.
Selected media mentions
La démocratie ? Comprends pas...Lepetitjournal.com
Myanmar survey finds limited understanding among citizens of democracy, federalism - Mizzima News
Sorry, no related news items available