Hiroshima University, Japan, has announced an opening for a junior science communicator position. The Science Communication Fellowship is suited to someone with a postgraduate degree in science communication, journalism, or science, who is seeking a future career in science communication. The Fellow will work at Hiroshima University for a minimum of six months (with a likely extension to one year) starting in January 2020.
Hiroshima University, Japan, has announced an opening for a junior science communicator position. The Science Communication Fellowship is suited to someone with a postgraduate degree in science communication, journalism, or science, who is seeking a future career in science communication. The Fellow will work at Hiroshima University for a minimum of six months (with a likely extension to one year) starting in January 2020. Main duties will be to assist with the international dissemination of research outcomes made by faculty members of the university. The Fellow will receive a gross monthly salary of around 210,000 Japanese Yen (JPY). The university will arrange for a furnished studio apartment for the Fellow, the monthly rent of which will be the Fellow’s responsibility. In addition, he/she will be given a travel allowance for one-time airfare to and from Japan.
For more details, see the application guidelines at https://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/2020/SCFJobOpeningAnnouncement2020.pdf.
After reading these guidelines carefully, you can start the application process at http://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/2020/.
Further details about Hiroshima University can be viewed on our website at https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en.
Also, for more details about our efforts to strengthen the University’s science communication, please see the page at http://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp and http://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/about-us/fellowship-program/.
- Postgraduate degree in science communication, journalism, or science is required
- Previous science writing experience is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English necessary; proficiency in Japanese is an advantage but not required
- Must know the components of a good story and be able to apply them to technical material
- The ability to coordinate activities to promote science communication such as workshops and seminars
- Experience working with scientists is desirable, especially non-native English speakers
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is required. Other experience in web tools such as Hootsuite, Google Analytics and Wordpress are desirable.
- Experience in photography, videography and web design is appreciated.
- Proactively search for the latest research in HU and conduct interviews to research, write, and edit press releases and other content
- Coordinate story approval and publication while working with faculty members, research administrators, and staff members of the university (particularly in the University Headquarters’ Public Relations Group) to meet deadlines and ensure accuracy
- Publish or promote research accomplishments via appropriate platforms, including the Hiroshima University Research Updates website, press release portal websites (such as EurekAlert! or AlphaGalileo), social media, and contacting individual journalists(usually 2 or 3 articles a month depending on content availability)
- Manage the Science Updates website(https://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/),Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HiroshimaUniversityResearch/)and Twitter (@HU_Research)
- Assist with media events and general public relations activities as needed
- The Fellow is encouraged to be creative beyond writing press releases and to lead various communication projects. Previous Fellows have implemented social media projects in conjunction with the PR Group, taught science communication workshops and created series of articles outside the press release format.
- Contribute to internationalization of the Research Planning Office by helping its public relations activities in English for the Office’s projects
1. See the application guidelines at https://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/2020/SCFJobOpeningAnnouncement2020.pdf.
2. Applications will be accepted only from teh following form: http://huscf.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/2020/. Please fill in the blanks on the form.
3. Please upload two sampless of your work (articles, videos, etc., preferably published) onto the above form.