Dr Ashfaq Ahmad
I have completed my BS (Hons) in Biotechnology, MSc, and a Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering from Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP), Malaysia, which ranks among the prestigious institutes of Malaysia. I am currently working as a postdoctoral research fellow at the esteemed "Khalifa University." I worked as a Research Assistant at Agriculture University Peshawar, Pakistan, for one year, then as a Graduate Assistantship in the Chemical Engineering department at UTP for roughly five years, conducting research and teaching. My research area of interest is "Microalgal Biotechnology for environmental remediation, industrial wastewater treatment, bioenergy production, food technology, and high-value biochemicals." I also worked in the field of "Water and environmental engineering, and heavy metals biosorption from industrial effluent." I have made significant research contributions in the areas mentioned above, and I am determined to add more to it. So far, I have published more than 35 full-length research papers in highly reputed international scientific journals. My work helped me to get recognition and secure several research grants.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Isra Othman, Banat, F. & Taher, H. Lactic acid recovery from date pulp waste fermentation broth by ions exchange resins. Environ Technology & Innovation (IF 3.356) Volume 22, 2021, 101438, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2021.101438.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Banat, F. & Taher, H. Comparative study of lactic acid production from date pulp waste by batch and cyclic–mode dark fermentation. Waste Management Journal (IF 5.44) 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2020.10.029.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Banat, F. & Taher, H. A review on the lactic acid fermentation from low-cost renewable materials: Recent developments and challenges. Environ Technology & Innovation (IF 3.356) 2020, 101138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2020.101138
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Banat, F. & Taher, H. Enhanced lactic acid production from food waste in dark fermentation with indigenous microbiota. Biomass Conv. Bioref. (IF 2.602) (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-020-00801-2.
- Ashraf, M.T., Bastidas-Oyanedel, JR., Ahmad, A. et al. Enhanced short-chain carboxylic acids yield in dark fermentation by cyclic product removal. Biomass Conv. Bioref. (IF 2.602) (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-020-01010-7
- N. Bashir, R. Saeed, M. Afzaal, Ashfaq Ahmad, N. Muhammad, J. Iqbal, A. Khan, Y. Maqbool, S. Hameed "Water quality assessment of lower Jhelum canal in Pakistan by using geographic information system (GIS)" Groundwater for Sustainable Development, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsd.2020.100357.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, A.H. Bhat, Azizul Buang, S.M.U. Shah, M. Afzal "Biotechnological Application of Microalgae for Integrated Palm Oil Mill Effluent (POME) Remediation: A review" International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. (IF 2.037), (2019) 16:1763–1788. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-2118-8.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Azizul Buang, A.H. Bhat. Renewable and Sustainable Bioenergy Production from Microalgal Co-cultivation with Palm Oil Mill Effluent (POME): A Review. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews (IF 12.11), 65 (2016): 214-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.06.084.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Azizul Buang, A.H. Bhat. "Immobilized Chlorella Vulgaris for Efficient Palm Oil Mill Effluent Treatment and Heavy Metals Removal, Desalination and water treatment (IF 1.631), 81 (2017) 105-117. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2017.20991.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Azizul Buang, A.H. Bhat, Biosorption of Transition Metals from Palm Oil Mill Effluent by Chlorella vulgaris immobilized in alginate beads: Kinetic and equilibrium modeling, Journal of Cleaner Production (IF 7.24), 171 (2018) 1361-1375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.09.252.
- Naeem, U., Afzaal, M., Haq, Ashfaq Ahmad. Investigating the effect of Aspergillus niger inoculated press mud (biofertilizer) on the potential of enhancing maize (Zea mays L.) yield, phosphorous use efficiency, and phosphorous agronomic efficiency. Arab J Geosci (IF 1.327) 14, 666. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-021-07025-2
- Ashfaq Ahmad, A.H. Bhat, Azizul Buang, Enhanced biosorption efficiency of Transition metals by Ca-alginate immobilized Chlorella vulgaris: Kinetic and equilibrium modeling. Environmental Technology (IF 1.666), 1-42. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2018.1430171.
- Abdullah, M. A., Ahmad, A., Shah, S. M. U., Shanab, S. M. M., Ali, H. E. A., & Othman, M. F. (2016). Integrated algal engineering for bioenergy generation, effluent remediation, and production of high-value bioactive compounds. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, (IF 1.226) 21(2), 236-249. DOI 10.1007/s12257-015-0388-2.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Syed Muhammad Usman. Shah, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Enhanced palm oil mill effluent treatment and biomethane production by aerobic and anaerobic co-cultivation of Chlorella sp." Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (IF 1.265) 92, 1636-1642.2014. https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.22029.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, S. Muhammad Usman. Shah, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Aerobic and anaerobic co-cultivation of Nannochloropsis oculata with Oil palm empty fruit bunch for enhanced biomethane production and palm oil mill effluent treatment". Desalination and Water Treatment (IF 1.63) 56(8), 2055-2065, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2014.960458
- Ashfaq Ahmad, S. M. U. Shah, Mohd F. Othman, Mohd A. Abdullah. "Biomethane production and Palm Oil Mill Effluent treatment by co-cultivation of Nannochloropsis oculata" Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 625 (2014) pp 818-821. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.625.818.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, S. M. U. Shah, Mohd F. Othman, Mohd A. Abdullah. "Evaluation of aerobic and anaerobic co-digestion of Tetraselmis suecica and Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunches by Response Surface Methodology". Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 925 (2014) pp 243-247. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.925.243.
- S. M. U. Shah, Ashfaq Ahmad, Mohd F. Othman, Mohd A. Abdullah. Enhancement of Lipid Content in Isochrysis Galbana and Pavlova Lutheri Using Palm Oil Mill Effluent as an Alternative Medium. Chemical Engineering Transactions, (IF 1.08), 37, 733-738. DOI: 10.3303/CET1437123.
- M. A. Abdullah, Ashfaq Ahmad, S. M. U. Shah, M. F. Othman, S. M. M. Shanab, H. E. A. Ali, M. M. Abo-Statef. "Algal Engineering for Bioenergy, Environmental Remediation, and High-value Biocompounds: A Review" Recent Advances in Renewable Energy Sources, 111-120, 2015, ISBN: 978-1-61804-303-0.
- S. M. U. Shah, Ashfaq Ahmad, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Effects of palm oil mill effluent media on cell growth and lipid content of Nannochloropsis oculata and Tetraselmis suecica". International Journal of Green Energy. (IF 1.171), 200-207, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2014.938340.
- M.A. Abdullah, M. Afzaal, Z. Ismail, A. Ahmad, M.S. Nazir, A.H. Bhat, Comparative study on structural modification of Ceiba pentandra for oil sorption and palm oil mill effluent treatment. Desalination and Water Treatment (IF 1.63) 1-10, 2014. DOI:10.1080/19443994.2014.906326.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, S.M. U. Shah, Mohd F. Othman, Mohd A. Abdullah. "Ahmad, A., Shah, S. M. U., Buang, A., & Abdullah, M. A. (2016). Anaerobic Co-cultivation of Multi-algal species with Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunches for Mill Effluent Treatment and Biomethane Production. Jurnal Teknologi, 78(5-6), 65-73. https://jurnalteknologi.utm.my/index.php/jurnalteknologi/article/view/8640.
- Yadzir H.M., M.Y. Shukor, Ashfaq Ahmad, M.S.Nazir, S.M.U. Shah, M.A. Abdullah, Phenol removal by newly-isolated Acinetobacter baumannii strain Serdang 1 in a packed-bed column reactor" Desalination and Water Treatment, (IF; 1.63), 57(28), 13307-13317.https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2015.1063459.
- Muhammad Afzaal, Azmuddin Abdullah, Sarfraz Ahmed, Amtul Bari Tabinda, Safdar Ali Mirza, Asma Aftab, Muhammad Ibrahim, Ajaz Hussian, Azhar Rasul, Yasir Waqas, Rizwan Rasheed, Ashfaq Ahmad (2018). Evaluation of kapok Ceiba pentandra (L.) Gaert for the removal of residual oil from Palm oil mill effluent (POME) by using factorial design Bioreactor, Annals of Life Sciences 12 (2018) 1–6.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Banat, F. & Taher; Algal Biotechnology: Integrated Algal biotechnology for Bioenergy, Bioremediation, and Biomedical Applications. Elsevier (Under Production).
- Ashfaq Ahmad, A.H.Bhat, Azizul Buang. "Photobioreactor Engineering for Integrated Algal Biofuel Production, Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Mitigation, and Wastewater Treatment". Photobioreactors: Advancements, Applications, and Research, Editors: Yiu Fai Tsang, Environmental Remediation Technologies, Regulations and Safety, 2017, ISBN: 978-1-53612-354-8.
- Abdullah, M.A., S.M.U. Shah, Ashfaq Ahmad, H. El-Sayed. "Algal biotechnology for bioenergy, environmental remediation and high-value biochemicals". Thangadurai D, Sangeetha J. 2014. Biotechnology and Bioinformatics: Advances and Applications for Bioenergy, Bioremediation, and Biopharmaceutical Research. Apple Academic Press, New Jersey, U.S.A., ISBN: 978-1-77188-001-5.
- Abdullah, M.A., Ashfaq Ahmad. "Integrated Microalgal Industrial Waste Treatment and Bioenergy Co-generation". Thangadurai D, Sangeetha J. 2014 Environmental Biotechnology: Current Trends and Future Perspectives. (Apple Academic Press), New Jersey, U.S.A. ISBN 9781771883627.
- A.H. Bhat, Y.K. Dasan, I.U.Haque, A. Ahmad. "Potential Applications and Adverse Effects of Bisphenol A in Humans" INC. 400 Oser Avenue, Suite 1600, Hauppauge, NY 11788-3619, 2014, Bisphenol A: Sources, Risks of Environmental Exposure and Human Health Effects. Nova Science Publishers). ISBN: 978-1-63463-238-6.
- Afzaal, Muhammad, Sidra Mukhtar, Masooma Nazar, Afifa Malik, Amtul Bari Tabinda, Abdullah Yasir, Ashfaq Ahmad, Sarfraz Ahmed, Azhar Rasool, and Muhammad Khalid "Bio-monitoring of Antibiotics and A.M.R./ARGs." In Antibiotics and Antimicrobial Resistance Genes, pp. 163-175. Springer, Cham, 2020.
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PROCEEDING
- Ashfaq Ahmad, S. M. U. Shah, M.F. Othman, A.B. Buang, M.A. Abdullah. "Evaluation of aerobic and anaerobic co-digestion of Tetraselmis suecica and palm oil mill effluent by using response surface methodology" International Conference on Nanoscience, Engineering, and Management (BOND21), 19-21th August 2013. Penang, Malaysia.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Syed Muhammad Usman. Shah, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Optimization of biomethane production and palm oil mill effluent treatment by aerobic and anaerobic co-cultivation of Chlorella sp." International Conference of Chemical and Industrial Biotechnology (ICCEIB), 28-29th August 2013. Kuantan, University Malaysia Pahang.
- Ashfaq Ahmad, Syed Muhammad Usman. Shah, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Biomethane production and palm oil mill effluent treatment by co-digesting with Nannochloropsis oculata: Optimization by response surface methodology" International Conference on Process Engineering and Advanced Materials (ICPEAM2014) ESTCON2014, 3-5th July 2014. Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS.
- Syed Muhammad Usman. Shah, Ashfaq Ahmad, Mohd Faridudin Othman, Mohd Azmuddin Abdullah. "Enhancement of biomass and lipid production by light irradiation in the laboratory and outdoor cultivation of Nannochloropsis oculata" iconBM: international conference on BioMass, 4-7 May 2014, Florence, Italy.