Prof. Dr. Jyoti U. Devkota
My professional interest lies in exploring, developing and applying statistical methodology in diverse interdisciplinary fields. I have a university level teaching experience of more than 25 years. My research focus is on development and application of statistical methodology to problems from renewable energy, population and health.
I did my PhD. from Germany supported by DAAD fellowship. It was completed in March 2000 from the Department of Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Osnabrueck, Germany. I have got the highest score in Master's in Statistics course from lady Shriram College, Delhi University, New Delhi, India. I have also got the "Best Student in Statistics" award in the Bachelor's honours course in Statistics from Lady Shriram College.
I am a Professor of Statistics in the Department of Mathematics at Kathmandu University since October 2013. I was also the Head of the Department of Natural Sciences, Kathmandu University from Oct. 2013 to April 2017. Since 2016, I am also IMU-CWM ambassador for Nepal. I have a number of publications in International Peer Reviewed Journals. I have also written three books. My ORCHID ID is https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5293-1753.
Professional Interests: Interdisciplinary applications of statistics, energy statistics, mathematical demography
Jyoti U. Devkota
Kathmandu University, School of Sciences, Department of Mathematics, Nepal
Position: Professor of Statistics (Since October 2013)
Formerly Head of the Department of Natural Science (Oct. 2013- April 2017)
Home address: Kathmandu, Nepal.
Personal Data: Married with two children
Educational and Scientific Degrees: Dr. rer. nat. (PhD) from University of Osnabruck, Germany – DAAD Fellowship
Supervisor Professor Wolfgang Stadje (Department of Computer Science and Mathematics, University of Osnabrueck, Germany).
Masters and Bachelors degree in Mathematical Statistics from Lady Shriram College, Delhi University, New Delhi, India.
Visiting-professor positions, 2007-2018: At universities in Germany, Canada, Portugal, China
Research Paper Presentation at International Conferences: Thailand, Korea, Sweden, China, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Germany, Portugal, India, Netherlands
Special Assignment (March 2018- ): Involved in the accreditation application process of the universityas a coordinator of the team
Membership in Scientific Organizations: Nepal German Academic Association (NEGAS), German Academic Association for Nepal (GAAN), Nepal Mathematical Society, Ramanujan Mathematical Society
Teaching: Variety of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate courses in Statistics and Mathematics. Training students for special modules namely Importance of Intellectual Property Rights, Questionnaire Design, Basic and Advanced Data Analysis, Latex, MATLAB.
Supervision of Students: A large number, with a special focus on interdisciplinary applications of statistics in energy and environment
Publications: 3 books, in English language, and more than 25 first authored papers. One of the books is:
Statistics Made Easy with R – A data based interdisciplinary approach with case studies and comments, Heidel Press, Kathmandu, March 2018.
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2021: Statistical Analysis of Active Fire Remote Sensing Data - Examples from South Asia, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Springer Nature, Vol. 193, Article No, 608, 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-021-09354-x
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2021: Multivariate Analysis of COVID - 19 for Countries with Limited and Scarce Data - Examples From Nepal, Journal of Environmental and Public Health, Vol. 2021, Hindawi, Jan. 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/8813505
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2021: Forecasting Satisfaction of Grid Electricity to a Rural Household - Examples from Nepal, SN Business & Economics,Vol. 1 (30), Springer Nature, Feb. 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s43546-020-00036-3
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2020: Time Series Analysis of Radiant Heat Using 74 hours VIIRS Satellite Day and Night Band Nightfire Data, e-Journal of Analysis and Applied Mathematics, 2020 (1), 98-117, Sciendo, Dec. 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/ 10.2478/ejaam-2020-0008 Link: https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/ejaam/2020/1/article-p98.xml
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2020: Structural Equation Modeling in Forecasting Satisfaction of Biogas to a Rural Household - Examples from Nepal, Biophysical Economics and Sustainability 5 (16), Springer, Nov 2020.DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41247-020-00082-3
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2020: Statistical Analysis of Gender Gap in Education and Employment - with Examples from Nepal, Book of Abstracts, Fifth International Conference on Analysis and Applied Mathematics (ICAAM 2020), organised by Near East University, Lefkosa (Nikosia), Pg 99, 23-30 September 2020 , Mersin 10, Turkey. http://icaam-online.org/site_media/media/uploads/abstract_book_icaam_2020.pdf
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2020: Role of location of a household and its socio-economic status on energy consumption dynamics of rural nepal: A categorical data analysis, International Journal of Applied Power Engineering, Volume 9, No. 3, Institute of Advanced Engineering and Science, Malaysia, December 2020. Available at the Link: http://ijape.iaescore.com/index.php/IJAPE/issue/view/556
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2020: Statistical Analysis of Gender Gap in Education and Employment - with Examples from Nepal (Invited Talk), Book of Abstracts, Virtual International Conference on Computational Sciences: Modelling, Computing and Soft Computing (CSMCS 2020), Calicut, India, organised by Department of Mathematics, National Institute of Technology, Calicut, India, Page 17, 10-12 Sept. 2020, Calicut, India.
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2019: Multivariate statistics of biogas and national grid energy consumers for countries with limited and scarce data – Nepal as a Case Study, SN Applied Sciences, Volume 1, No. 4, Springer Nature, March 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-0367-x
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2019: Statistical analysis of night radiance RH using VIIRS Day/Night Band satellite time series data. International Journal of Advances in Applied Sciences, Volume 8, No. 1, Institute of Advanced Engineering and Science, Malaysia, March 2019. Available at the Link http://ijaas.iaescore.com/index.php/IJAAS/article/view/18134
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2019: A categorical data analysis of impact of biogas on women of rural households – with examples from Nepal. International Journal of Advances in Applied Sciences, Volume 8, No. 1, Institute of Advanced Engineering and Science, Malaysia, March 2019. Available at the Link http://ijaas.iaescore.com/index.php/IJAAS/article/view/18251
- Jyoti U, Devkota 2018: Statistics Made Easy with R - a data based interdisciplinary approach with case studies and comments, Heidel Press March 2018. (Book)
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2017: DataFan - Data data everywhere, but is this data too hot to handle? Statistician's Tips. (Blog). Available at the Link jyotiudevkota.blogspot.com
- Jyoti U. Devkota 2017: Digging Deeper IntoThe Data - Statistician's tips with illustrations, examples and applications. Kindle Edition. (Book) Available at the Link https://www.amazon.com/Jyoti-U-Devkota-PhD/e/B071ZXJ2F2%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Kamala Upreti, Deepa Gurung 2015: Principal Components Analysis of Socio-Economic Factors of Micro Hydro Consumers of Nepal, Proceedings of Interna-tional Conference on "ASIAN Community Knowledge Networks for the Economy, Society, Culture and Environmental Stability", Page 387 - 393, Jan. 2015. Available at the Link http://icmr.crru.ac.th/Journal/Journal%205/2%20Principal%20Component%20Analysis.pdf
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Kamala Upreti, Deepa Gurung 2015: Principal Components Analysis of Socio-Economic Factors of Renewable Energy Users of Countries Such as Nepal, Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Statistics 2015, Page 143 - 149, July 2015, Pattaya, Thailand.
- Jyoti U. Devkota, R. S. Singh, 2014: Mathematical modeling of mortality for countries with limited and defective data, Research in Applied Statistical Science page 23-36, Nova Publishers, 2014.(Book)
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Swechhya Singh, Chanda Prajapati, Binu Hada 2014: Principle components analysis of the socioeconomic conditions of biogas users - with examples from Nepal. International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Volume 4, No. 3, Page 655 - 664, September 2014. Link http://www.ijrer.org/ijrer/index.php/ijrer/article/view/1472
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Chanda Prajapati, Swechyya Singh, Binu Hada 2014: Statistical analysis of benefits of renewable energy - examples of biogas consumers of Nepal. International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Volume 4, No. 2, Page 471 - 476, June 2014. Available at the Link http://www.ijrer.org/ijrer/index.php/ijrer/article/view/1281
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Chanda Prajapati, Swechyya Singh, Binu Hada 2014: Multinomial logistic regression of benefits of renewable energy-examples from biogas consumers of Nepal, Proceedings of International Conference on Applied Statistics 2014, Page 206 - 213, May 2014, Khonkaen, Thailand.
- Jyoti U. Devkota, Binu Hada, Chanda Prajapati, Swechya Singh 2012: The importance of research data digitization and its statistical analysis-with examples of biogas consumers of Nepal, International Journal for Environmental Science and Development, Vol.3, no. 2, Page 103 - 108, April 2012. Available at the Link http://www.ijesd.org/papers/197-CD0012.pdf
- Jyoti U. Devkota, R. S. Singh, 2011: Mathematical modeling of mortality for countries with limited and defective data, Journal of Applied Statistical Sciences, vol. 19 no1, page 24-38.
- Jyoti U. Devkota, R. S. Singh, 2010: Deterministic and probabilistic models with applications to modeling fertility data, Journal of Applied Statistical Sciences, vol.18 no.2, page 161-176.