Dr Mashura Shammi
I completed B.Sc. (honours) and M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences from Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh, and Ph.D. in Ecology from the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) by the funding of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and The World Academy of Sciences (CAS-TWAS) President’s Fellowship Program in 2017.
I was a fellow of the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and completed an international training program on Strategic Environmental Assessment ITP-SEA, 2017B Asia. I am the coordinator of the ITP-SEA Alumni Network (SEAN) Bangladesh.
In addition, I am a fellow of the Organization of Women in Science for the Developing Worlds (OWSD) Early career women scientist (ECWS) 2019-2020 on “Anthropogenic Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emission and carbon dynamics in the Ganges River, Bangladesh”. I was also a fellow of Eco-Peace Leadership Center (EPLC)-Asia in 2018-2019.
I have a keen interest in environmental interdisciplinary research such as biogeochemistry of salinity intrusion, climate change, and environmental assessment. I have several peer-reviewed publications that are available in Google Scholar and ResearchGate.
With the colleagues in the Department of Environmental Sciences, I have established Hydrobiogeochemistry and Pollution Control Laboratory, which is monitoring greenhouse gas emissions from lakes and water bodies due to anthropogenic activities and contributing to climate change. Our team is also working on salinity intrusion, waste management, and strategic environmental assessment, which are all significant research area in Bangladesh.
Areas of expertise: Climate change, greenhouse gas, strategic environmental assessment (SEA)
Selected media coverage
"Lockdown: To withdraw or not to withdraw?" - The Business Standard, May 06, 2020
"The potential risks of climate vulnerability and dengue amid Covid-19" - The Business Standard, June 04, 2020
Biogeochemistry of microbial biofilms, climate change and salinity intrusion; environmental pollution monitoring
- Shammi, M., Behal, A., & Tareq, S.M. The escalating biomedical waste management to control the environmental transmission of COVID-19 pandemic: a perspective from two South Asian countries. Environmental Science & Technology, 2021. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.0c05117
- Shammi, M. & Tareq, S.M. Environmental Catastrophe of COVID-19: Disposal and Management of PPE in Bangladesh. Global Social Welfare, 2020. doi:10.1007/s40609-020-00195-z
- Islam, A.R.M.T., Hasanuzzaman, M., Shammi, M., Salam, R., Bodrud-Doza, M., Rahman, M.M., Mannan, M.A. and Huq, S. Are meteorological factors enhancing COVID-19 transmission in Bangladesh? Novel findings from a compound Poisson generalized linear modeling approach. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2020. pp.1-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-020-11273-2
- Rahman, M.M. Bodrud-Doza, M., Shammi, M., Islam, A.R.M.T. COVID-19 pandemic, dengue epidemic, and climate change vulnerability in Bangladesh: Scenario assessment for strategic management and policy implications. Environmental Research, 2021. 192: 110303. 10.1016/j.envres.2020.110303
- Kohinoor Begum, Takashi Motobayashi, Nazmul Hasan, Kwame Sarpong Appiah, Mashura Shammi and Yoshiharu Fujii. 2020. Indigo as a Plant Growth Inhibitory Chemical from the Fruit Pulp of Couroupita guianensis Aubl. Agronomy, 10(9):1388. Doi: 10.3390/agronomy10091388