Dr. Nor Diana Mohd Mahudin
My research work has been focused on understanding the nature, process, and outcomes of passenger crowding on trains and investigating different demand management options to mitigate this issue. Working in collaboration with several teams, my recent work extends into the study of related settings, such as overcrowding at large public gatherings (e.g., Hajj), in which we are particularly interested in whether crowd behaviour plays a role in evacuation planning and overall crowd management. We have also used measurements of physiological parameters to study how people respond to different types of environment, especially in terms of restorative experiences and cognitive performance.
Apart from these areas, my work collaborations extend to investigating religiosity, occupational ergonomics and safety, work and women’s well-being, as well as development and evaluation of interventions. Within these collaborations, we have developed two copyrighted scales, i.e., the Rail Passenger Crowding (RPC) scale and the IIUM Religiosity Scale (IIUMRelS). To know more about a particular strand of my work, see https://beyondcommuting.wixsite.com/projects. Enquiries for research and professional collaborations are welcomed.
- Ph.D. (Applied Psychology) University of Nottingham, UK (2012)
- M. Sc. in Ergonomics, Loughborough University, UK (2003)
- B. HSc. (Psychology) International Islamic University Malaysia, Malaysia (First Class Honours) (2001)
- Ergonomics Trained Person / Recognised Person (Level 2: Advanced) Under DOSH ERA Guidelines 2017 (Reg. No: 130)
- Ergonomics Trained Person / Recognised Person (Level 1: Initial) Under DOSH ERA Guidelines 2017 (Reg. No: 766)
- Translator: Sijil Penterjemahan Am (Intensif), Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (2017)
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ENGAGEMENTS:
- Member of the Main Board Committee for the Review and Redevelopment of the Road Safety Education (RSE) Module at Schools Project (2016 – 2019): Road Safety Department, Malaysia and Ministry of Transport Malaysia.
- Assessor and Reviewer for the Revised Road Safety Education Module for Primary and Lower Secondary School (2015 – 2019): Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (MIROS).
- Module Developer, Behaviour Based Safety for Observer (BBSO) Programme (2018 – 2019): National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Malaysia.
- Expert Reviewer for Kursus Asas Profesionalisme Pemandu Perkhidmatan Kenderaan Perkhidmatan Awam (PKPA) bagi Industri Teksi dan Perkhidmatan E-hailing (2017 – 2018): Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) and Road Transport Department, Malaysia.
- Working Committee for The Development of The METRO National Safety Standard Through Behaviour Based Safety (MEBS) (2015): National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Malaysia and Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp)
SELECTED GRANTS, RESEARCH, AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Digital Society Research Grant 2020, Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (November 2020 – June 2021): Shaping Family Digital Literacy: A Two-Phase Study Investigating Parental Mediation Practices of Young Children’s Internet and Digital Technologies Use (DSRG20-001-0001)
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Education, Malaysia (2014-2016): Identification of Barriers and Facilitators to Effective Implementation of Islamic Work Ethics in Islamic Banking Institutions (FRGS14-115-0356)
- Research Acculturation Grants (RAGS), Ministry of Education, Malaysia (2013): Train Overcrowding: Assessing and Prioritising Demand Management Strategies by Key Stakeholders (RAGS12-058-0058)
- Long-Term Research Grant Scheme (LRGS), Ministry of Education, Malaysia (2012-2017): Social Psychology of Crowd Behaviour During Evacuation: Sub Project of Enhancing Hajj Performance: Novel Crowd Management System and Reduction of Related Health Problems (LRGS 203.PTS.6728002)
- The National Anti-Drug Agency Malaysia (AADK) Grant (June 2017 – November 2017): Family Intervention for the Mitigation of Online Drug Trafficking: Module Development and Feasibility of Implementation (SP17-015-0277)
- The National Anti-Drug Agency Malaysia (AADK) Grant (June 2013 – December 2013): Kajian Daya Tahan Peserta Sebelum Dan Sesudah Menghadiri Program Bengkel Family on Alert Dan Forum Let's Talk About Health (SP13-016-0138)
- Mohd Mahudin, N. D., Abd Hamid, A. H. I., Zulkifli, A. A., & Zulkifly, N. I. A. (2020). Looked but failed to see: The role of gender, driver types, accident history, and licence tenure in hazard perception. Human Factors and Ergonomics Journal, 5(1), 13-22. E-ISSN 2590-3705
- Erfianti, L. G., & Mohd Mahudin, N. D. (2019). Impulsivity, Online Disinhibition, and Risk Taking Among Digital Millennials: Challenges of e-Safety in Industry 4.0. Journal of Occupational Safety and Health, 16(1), 45-53. http://www.myjurnal.my/public/article-view.php?id=148706
- Melati P. H., Mohd Mahudin N. D., & Janon N. S. (2018). Factors Influencing the Implementation of Islamic Work Ethics in Banks: A Qualitative Study. In: Said R., Mohd Sidek N., Azhar Z., Anuar Kamarudin K. (Eds.) State-of-the-Art Theories and Empirical Evidence, pp 65-89. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6926-0_5
- Mohd Mahudin, N. D., Cox, T., & Griffiths, A. (2017) Conducting systematic reviews in psychology: issues, challenges and opportunities. In: Industrial and Organizational: Psychology Issues in Southeast Asia. Penerbit Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, pp. 1-24. ISBN 978-967-0521-31-2.
- Mohd Mahudin, N. D., Noor, N. M., Dzulkifli, M. A., & Janon, N. S. I. (2016). Religiosity among Muslims: A scale development and validation study. MAKARA Hubs-Asia (Human Behavior Studies in Asia), 20(2), 109-121. https://doi.org/10.7454/mssh.v20i2.3492
- Noor, N. M., & Mohd Mahudin, N. D. (2016). Work, family and women’s well- being in Malaysia. In Connerley, M. L., & Wu, J. (Eds.), Handbook on Well-Being of Working Women, pp. 717-734. The Netherlands: Springer and the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies (ISQOLS). ISBN 978-94-017-9896-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-9897-6_40
- Noor, N. M., & Mohd Mahudin, N. D. (2015) Work-life balance policies in Malaysia: Theory and practice. In Lu, L., & Cooper, C. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Work-Life balance in Asia - New Horizons in Management, pp. 207-235. UK: Edward Edgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78347-508-7. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781783475094.00017
- Mohd Mahudin, N. D., Cox, T., & Griffiths, A. (2012). The measurement of rail passenger crowding: Scale development and psychometric properties. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 15(1), 38-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2011.11.006
SELECTED COYPRIGHTS/ INNOVATIONS:
- Rail Passenger Crowding Instrument [Database record]. APA PsycTests. https://doi.org/10.1037/t41054-000
- IIUM Religiosity Scale (IIUMRelS)
- Buku Panduan Lengkap Untuk Fasilitator (Kumpulan Remaja), Program Remaja BIJAK, Keluarga PRIHATIN
- Modul Program Intervensi Keluarga untuk Pengurangan Risiko Pegedaran Dadah Melalui Internet Dan Media Sosial di Kalangan Remaja Malaysia (Program Remaja BIJAK, Keluarga PRIHATIN)
- Buku Aktiviti Waris, Program Remaja BIJAK, Keluarga PRIHATIN
- Buku Aktiviti Remaja, Program Remaja BIJAK, Keluarga PRIHATIN
- Buku Panduan Lengkap Untuk Fasilitator (Kumpulan Waris), Program Remaja BIJAK, Keluarga PRIHATIN