Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI)
SDPI was founded in August 1992 on the recommendation of the Pakistan National Conservation Strategy (NCS), also called Pakistan’s Agenda 21. SDPI defines sustainable development as the enhancement of peace, social justice and well-being within and across generations. SDPI produces knowledge–knowledge that can enhance the capacity of government to make informed policy decisions and to engage civil society on issues of public interest. The Institute acts as both a generator of original research on sustainable development issues and as an information resource for concerned individuals and institutions. SDPI’s function is thus two-fold: an advisory role fulfilled through research, policy advice and advocacy; and an enabling role realised through providing other individuals and organisations with resource materials (training) to undertake NCS related activities.
* Conduct policy advice, policy oriented research and advocacy from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
* Promote the implementation of policies, programs, laws and regulations based on sustainable development.
* Strengthen civil society and facilitate civil society-government interaction through collaboration with other organizations and activist networks.
* Disseminate research findings and public education through the media, conferences, seminars, lectures, publications and curricula development, including the Citizens Report and State of the Environment Report.
* Contribute to building up national research capacity and infrastructure.
* catalyse the transition towards sustainable and just development in Pakistan.
* To serve as a source of expertise and advisory services for the government, private sector, and non-governmental initiatives supporting the implementation of Pakistan’s National Conservation Strategy.
* To conduct policy-oriented research on sustainable development from a broad multi-disciplinary perspective.
* To provide policy advice on matters relating to the mission of the Institute.
* To contribute to strengthening the social and physical infrastructure for research in Pakistan including the construction and dissemination of databases and research indices and the improvement of library systems.
* To initiate, establish and participate in collaborative advocacy and other activities with like-minded organisations in and outside the country.
* These goals reflect the main axes of our work; the means through which we effect change.
The Institute's activities are designed to provide:
* Policy advice to government
* A forum for policy dialogue
* Support to in-house, visiting and external researchers
* Publications for research, public and private sector use
* A conduit for North South dialogue
* An environment for information dissemination and training
* A base for regional advocacy and networking
The research program at SDPI drives the three main activities of policy advice, advocacy and training.
An effective and viable institution conducting independent research on sustainable development
Creation of broad awareness of, and active support for, sustainable development in government, the private sector, NGOs, academia and the general public
Improved sustainable development policy in government, private and NGO sectors
Provision of high quality training to public and private organizations, NGO's and individuals to strengthen institutions and build capacity for sustainable development