ICARDA is a non-profit international agricultural research center in a worldwide consortium of 15 centers, supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The CGIAR is co-sponsored by the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). With a staff of over 400 scientists and support personnel, representing more than 45 nationalities, ICARDA addresses two key areas of agricultural research: germplasm improvement (cereals and legumes) and natural resource management. The Center has a global mandate for barley, lentil and faba bean improvement, and a regional mandate for the improvement of wheat, chickpea and forage and pasture legumes. A major emphasis is placed on the conservation and management of land and water, and improved productivity of small ruminants in integrated farming systems in dry areas. The Center’s research and training programs are implemented in partnership with national programs and, in most cases, with other CGIAR centers as well as advanced research institutes in both developing and industrialized countries.
ICARDA is seeking a Personnel Manager, who will be based at its headquarters in Aleppo, Syria. The incumbent will be reporting to the Director of Corporate Services and will have the following main responsibilities:
• Managing the Personnel Unit and ensuring proper conduct by the staff.
• Advising the management on personnel issues and recommending modifications to the existing personnel rules and polices for better efficiency and control
• Preparing staff development plans in consultation with the various units at the Center and advising management on the implementation
• Ensuring the inputting of accurate personnel information into the Oracle database and maintenance of up-to-date records of individual staff members
• Processing government clearances, visas, residence permits, licenses, identity cards, insurance claims, etc, for staff members
• Coordinating the periodic performance appraisal process, and analyzing and processing the reports to make recommendations on personnel promotions, transfers, resignations, etc.
• Assisting in setting standards for human resources management, training, development, promotions, merit increases, bonuses, transfers, contract renewals, terminations, resignations, etc
• Ensuring equitable, transparent, and consistent interpretation and determination of staff entitlements and conditions of service in line with the Center’s personnel policies and procedures
• Effectively communicating the Center’s personnel policies to the staff and monitoring compliance.
• Providing routine advice to all levels of staff on the application of personnel policies and procedures
• Coordinating the recruitment, placement, and re-assignment of staff and preparing service contracts
• Ensuring accuracy and appropriateness of vacancy notices and advertisements
• Supervising the Labor Office
• Performing other duties that may be assigned by the Director of Corporate Services
Qualifications and Experience
• A university degree in human resource development or management, the humanities, or a related discipline
• A minimum of ten years progressive experience in personnel management, preferably in an international organization
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• Good working knowledge of the computer and human resource databases
• Ability to communicate fluently in English language; a working knowledge of Arabic and French would be an advantage
Terms of Appointment
The appointment will be for an initial period of three years, renewable thereafter annually. The salary is paid in US dollars. Benefits include housing allowance, paid home leave travel, a pension scheme, life and health insurance package, vehicle for business and personal use, and free enrollment for dependent children in the ICARDA-administered international school (KG to Grade 12).
Living in Syria
ICARDA’s headquarters is situated 30 km south of Aleppo, Syria’s second largest city. In addition to the internationally-accredited school, ICARDA runs a Sports and Social Club for the staff. Syria has many historical and archaeological sites, some a short drive from Aleppo. There are four distinct seasons and the terrain varies from desert to mountains to fertile fruit orchards. Major international airlines fly into Damascus and Aleppo.
Method of Application
Qualified applicants should download and complete the ICARDA employment application form (MS Word or PDF) and send with a recent photograph and any other relevant supporting documents (non-returnable) to:
ICARDA, P.O. Box 5466, Aleppo, Syria
Telephone: (963-21) 2213477, 2225112, or 2225012
Fax: (963-21) 2213490, 2225105, or 5744622
E-mail: [email protected]
1. If sending application by e-mail, please do not include graphics or other large file attachments.
2. Quote reference INT-P/8426/06 on application (or in subject line if applying by e-mail).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be received by 30 June 2006.
ICARDA is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from women.