Research Assistant Professor (RAP) Arun Prasanth Nagalingam
Dr. Arun is currently developing an evidence-based digital surface enhancement technique for in-situ roughness monitoring of complex space rocket/fuel injector components through artificial intelligence techniques at the Rolls-Royce @ NTU Corporate Lab, NTU, Singapore.
His doctoral work includes designing and developing a novel post-process surface finishing technique for additively manufactured complex internal passages in aerospace components. In addition, he utilized the phenomenon of cavitation (a phenomenon that was stated uncontrollable and destructive) and harnessed its intensity through a novel machine design, and constructively used it for surface engineering of hard to machine materials including Titanium, Inconel, and Haynes. The process is deemed sustainable as water is the primary working fluid with just a 1.0 % addition of abrasives (while conventional techniques use 60-80 % abrasives).
His other research works in collaboration with the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing (SC3DP) include multimaterial polymer and fiber 3D printing of lightweight structures, dynamic materials testing, and non-destructive inspection of crack initiation and propagation in complex lattice structures.
Dr. Arun has published several patents, journals, conferences, books, and posters related to advanced manufacturing and aerospace technologies. In addition, Dr. Arun acts as a guest editor and reviewer in several international journals, including Additive Manufacturing, Powder Technology, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Materials, Coatings, etc.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Advanced Manufacturing), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore (2020)
- Master of Science (Manufacturing Systems and Engineering, Specialization: Additive Manufacturing), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore (2016)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering), Anna University, India (2015)
Prizes and Awards
- Research Assistant Professorship(RAP), Nanyang Technological University, 2021.
- Nanyang Technological University Graduate College Awards – Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 2021.
- MDPI Travel Grant and Scholarship, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 2021.
- Rolls-Royce Highest Aspirations Award, Rolls-Royce @ NTU Corporate Lab, 2020.
- Heidenhain Travel Grant and Scholarship, European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (euspen), 2019.
- Best Teaching Assistant Award, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 2018.
- Academic Excellence Award, Master of Science, Nanyang Technological University, 2017.
- Silver Medal, Bachelor of Engineering, 2015.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Digital Manufacturing Processes
- Surface and Sub-surface Engineering
- Discrete and Finite Element Modeling
- Additive Manufacturing
- Surface Metrology
- Hydrodynamics and Ultrasonics
- Advanced Manufacturing Process Development (Experiment and Numerical)
- Metal Additive Manufacturing
- Materials Testing and Characterisation
- A. P. Nagalingam, J-Y Lee, and S. H. Yeo. Multi-jet hydrodynamic surface finishing and X-ray computed tomography (X-CT) inspection of laser powder bed fused Inconel 625 fuel injection/spray nozzles. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 291 (2021): 117018.
- A.P. Nagalingam, S.H. Yeo, Surface finishing of additively manufactured IN625 complex internal channels: A case study using a multi-jet hydrodynamic approach. Additive Manufacturing 36 (2020) 101428.
- A.P. Nagalingam, H.K. Yuvaraj, S.H. Yeo, Synergistic effects in hydrodynamic cavitation abrasive finishing for internal surface-finish enhancement of additive-manufactured components, Additive Manufacturing 33 (2020) 101110.
- A. J. Yam, J. Zhang, A. P. Nagalingam, S. K. Gopasetty, B. L. Toh, A. Gopinath., K. Ahluwalia, M. G. Wei Ang, and S. H. Yeo. Numerical modeling of residual stresses during vibratory peening of a 3-stage Blisk–a multi-scale discrete element and finite element approach. Journal of Materials Processing Technology (2021) 117383.
- J.-Y. Lee*, A.P. Nagalingam*, S.H. Yeo, A review on the state-of-the-art of surface finishing processes and related ISO/ASTM standards for metal additive manufactured components, Virtual and Physical Prototyping (2020) 1-29. (*Equal contribution)
- G.D. Goh, V. Dikshit, A.P. Nagalingam, G.L. Goh, S. Agarwala, S.L. Sing, J. Wei, W.Y. Yeong, Characterization of mechanical properties and fracture mode of additively manufactured carbon fiber and glass fiber reinforced thermoplastics, Materials & Design 137 (2018) 79-89.
- V. Dikshit, A.P. Nagalingam, Y.L. Yap, S.L. Sing, W.Y. Yeong, J. Wei, Crack monitoring and failure investigation on inkjet printed sandwich structures under quasi-static indentation test, Materials & Design 137 (2018) 140-151.