Dr Kartini Ilias
She received her bachelor’s degree (Honors) in Psychology from the International Islamic University, Malaysia in 2004. Following her undergraduate career, she began as a teacher in the One Stop Center for Special Children that cater to various kinds of special children such as Down Syndrome, Dyslexia, Slow Learners and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Her role was to develop a teaching syllabus, implementation of behavior modification, and handle the counseling sessions with the parents of special children in the school.
In 2008, she received her M.S of Clinical Psychology from National University, Malaysia. Her Masters dissertation was Psychoeducational Program for Parents with Special Need Children. She received her Doctoral of Philosophy from Monash University. Her PhD research was exploring the parenting stress and resilience among parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in the Malaysian Context using a mixed method analysis.
Kartini is an active member of Malaysian Society of Clinical Psychology (MSCP). She practiced her clinical work in Pain Clinic Selayang Hospital in 2009 till 2011 and continue her clinical practice in the One Stop Center for Special Children (CADS) in 2013 till 2015. She also actively supervised the clinical psychologist trainees from public and private universities.
In 2019, she was appointed as a visiting clinical and research fellow in Genius Kurnia, an early intervention center for child with Autism in Malaysia. Her primary clinical and research interest is related to mental health and wellbeing. Specifically, understanding the psychosocial issues, education, family dynamic related to the individual with disabilities across the culture.
CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY EXPERIENCE
Visiting Clinical Psychologist in GENIUS Kurnia, (Jan 2018-Dec 2020)
Clinical Psychologist Supervisor for trainees of Master in Clinical Psychology (Sept 2018-Oct 2020)
Clinical Psychologist at CADS Enhancement Center (CEC) Jalan Duta Kuala Lumpur
(Jan 2012-May 2014)
Clinical Psychologist at Chronic Pain Clinic Selayang Hospital (Jan 2009- Dec 2011)
- August 2007-November 2007
Department of Adolescence Psychiatry HUKM
- Jan 2008-April 2008 Pain Clinic Hospital Selayang
Visiting Clinical and Research Fellow in GENIUS Kurnia (Jan 2019-Dec 2020)
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
a) Selected Grants
- Geran Perundingan Dana Education Policy Studies (EPS) (RM329,828) in 2019
Kajian Keberkesanan Modul Murid Bekeperluan Khas Kefungsian Rendah Di Sekolah
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (RM 81,700) in 2019
Psychosocial Well-Being and Its Relation to Confinement Practices of Mothers in Neonatal Care Unit (Nicu)
- Geran Penyelidikan Mitra (RM23,200) in 2017
Quranic Recitations as A Sound Therapy to Ameliorate Behaviour Disorder of Autistic Children
- Geran Penyelidikan Lestari (RM 20,000) in 2016
The Role of Built Environment in Physical Activity, Diet and Obesity Among Children in Selangor, Malaysia
- Geran Penyelidikan Lestari (RM 20,000) in 2015
Effectiveness of A Weight Reduction Programme For Young Adults in An Urban University Setting
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (RM 60,000) in 2013.
- Australia-Malaysia Sleep Health Program (RM 150,000) in 2012
- Excellence Fund University Technology MARA, Malaysia (RM 5,000) in 2011.
Relationship Between Perceived Stress and Eating Behaviors in Young Adults
b) Publications and Proceedings
- Ilias, K., Cornish, K., Park, M. S., Toran, H., & Golden, K. J. (2019). Risk and Resilience Among Mothers and Fathers of Primary School Age Children with ASD in Malaysia: A Qualitative Constructive Grounded Theory Approach. Frontiers in psychology, 9, 2275. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02275 *This article also has been featured in Asia Research News in 2020. https://www.asiaresearchnews.com/content/getting-new-perspective-autism
- Ilias, K., Liaw, J. H. J., Cornish, K., Park, M. S. A., & Golden, K. J. (2018). Parenting Stress and Resilience in Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in Southeast Asia: A Systematic Review. Frontiers in Psychology. 9, 280.
- Ilias, K., Liaw, J. H. J., Cornish, K., Park, M. S. A., & Golden, K. J. (2017). Wellbeing of mothers of children with “AUTISM” in Malaysia: An interpretative phenomenological analysis study. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 42(1), 74-89.
- Ilias, K., Ahir, N. M., Ab Rahman, N. Z., Yusof, S. M., Radzuan, N. N., & Buhari, S. S. (2017). The Mission Slimpossible Program: Dietary and Physical Activity Intervention to Combat Obesity among University Students in UITM Puncak Alam. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Medical and Health Sciences, 4(11).
- Ilias, K., Cornish, K., Park, M. S. A., & Golden, K. J. (2015). The Value of Mixed-Method Research with Families of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Grounded Theory Protocol. Jurnal Teknologi, 77(33).
- Ilias, K.,Golden, K.J., Sang Ah-Park, M., & Cornish, K. (2014, December). Mixed-method research with families of children with neurodevelopmental disorders. Extended abstract and Poster session at the 6th International Conference on Postgraduate Education, Melaka.
- Ilias, K., Golden, K. J., Tam, C. L., & Cornish, K. (2014, December). Symphony of sound: The importance of mixed-methods research with families of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Poster session at the Second ASfAR Conference, La Trobe University Melbourne.
- Kartini I, Golden,K.J., Lian,T.C., & Cornish,K. (2013, December) Health and Well Being of Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. 4th International Symposium on Wellness, Health and Nutrition.
- Nazirah Zuman, Kartini Ilias, Khairil Anuar Md Isa, Ajau Danis (2012) Relationship between eating behaviors, self-esteem and academic achievement among secondary school students in Meru, Klang Malaysia. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition (ISSN 1992-1470)
- Syuhada Zofiran, Kartini Ilias, Siti Sabariah Buhari, Ajau Danis (2012) Relationship between eating behaviors, body image and BMI status among adolescence age 13-17 years in Meru,Klang. American Journal of Food Nutrition (ISSN 2157-0167)
- Kartini I, Ponnusamy,S & Normah, C.D. (2008). Parental Stress in Parents of Special children: The effectiveness of psycho education program on parents’ psychosocial well beings. Symposium Sains Kesihatan Kebangsaan ke 7 (ISBN 978-983-43150-9-2)
c) Selected Innovation, Invention and Design Competition (IID)
- Combination of metformin and hyperthermia: A new treatment modality for bone cancer. Invention, Innovation and Design Exposition 2018’ (iidex2018). Won Silver Medal.
- Milky Boobies Lactogenic Cookies , Innovation ,Invention and Design Competition. UiTM Terengganu, 2014. Won gold medal for the category Best Innovation and Product Packaging
- Oomph Snack Bar Energy , Innovation ,Invention and Design Competition. UiTM Shah Alam, 2014. Won gold medal for the category Best Innovation.
- e-mMCHAT The electronic Malay of the Modified Checklist of Autism in Toddler. Innovation, Invention and Design MARA University Technology Segamat Johor, Malaysia 2013.