Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
KAIST was established in 1971 to model a research focused university and to foster elite human resources in science and technology needed by the nation.
Currently, KAIST has successfully become a well-respected member of the worldwide science community
In the future, KAIST must become a university in which the world lays its eye upon, by discovering the best leaders, offering the best education, and becoming the envy of the academic world, not only within Korea but all over the world through the university’s first invention.
- In recognition of the nations need for elite human resources in science and technology, KAIST was developed to support industrialization as part of the economic development plan.
- To satisfy the need of producing talents, a systematic graduate school of science and engineering was needed, to prevent international leakage of intellectual talent.
- Launched as the nation’s first science and technology graduate school focused on research.
Founding Purpose(Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology Constitution Article 1)
- Educate and foster elite scientists for the future, equipped with basic theories and capability for practical applications.
- Carry out both long and short term basic and applied research that enables the nation’s strategic technological advancements.
- Provide research collaborations with a diverse pool of research institutions and industries.