Singapore, 12 November 2019… The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), Deloitte and S&P Global Market Intelligence have collaborated to develop a prototype for an industry-wide FinTech Research Platform to help investors and financial institutions connect with FinTech start-ups that they can partner with or invest in.
2. Deloitte’s internal analysis discovered that investors and financial institutions currently do not have access to reliable and up-to-date company information of FinTech startups and have to rely on informal networks to source investment opportunities. This limits their view of all the companies in which they might deploy capital.
3. The digital FinTech Research Platform is designed to help:
Increase transparency by providing a comprehensive view of FinTech companies, including their attributes on business models, use cases, funding, and technology stack.
Enhance investors’ confidence in FinTech companies through transparency of aggregated third-party and self-reported data, clearly showing the source of each data point.
Accelerate decision-making by allowing users to compare FinTech companies easily on one platform and prioritise the FinTech firms that they can potentially work with based on parameters that matter most to the users.
MAS, Deloitte, and S&P Global Market Intelligence will continue to explore opportunities to develop the platform further.
4. Sopnendu Mohanty, Chief FinTech Officer, MAS, said, “We believe that the deployment of capital in start-ups, particularly those offering business-to-business solutions, can be vastly improved by enhancing transparency and increasing the confidence in data on early-stage companies. We are keen to leverage this platform, and create synergy with the API Exchange1 that was developed by MAS in collaboration with the World Bank’s International Finance Cooperation and the ASEAN Bankers Association.”
5. “We are proud to be part of the MAS’ efforts to improve and accelerate investment in the FinTech sector in the region. The ASEAN region presents ample opportunity for FinTechs to make an impact with their innovative financial solutions. This platform can help to make the investment process more effective so that the countries and their societies can benefit from the progress made,” said Bob Contri, Deloitte Global Financial Services Industry Leader.
6. Thomas Yagel, Managing Director, Corporates and Governments Segments at S&P Global Market Intelligence added, “Technology and data are fundamental to the financial industry and capital markets. We are very excited to be working with MAS and Deloitte to design a solution that meets a growing market need, and help FinTech companies to unlock opportunities in the ASEAN region.”
About the Monetary Authority of Singapore
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) is Singapore’s central bank and integrated financial regulator. As central bank, MAS promotes sustained, non-inflationary economic growth through the conduct of monetary policy and close macroeconomic surveillance and analysis. It manages Singapore’s exchange rate, official foreign reserves, and liquidity in the banking sector. As an integrated financial supervisor, MAS fosters a sound financial services sector through its prudential oversight of all financial institutions in Singapore – banks, insurers, capital market intermediaries, financial advisors, and stock exchanges. It is also responsible for well-functioning financial markets, sound conduct, and investor education. MAS also works with the financial industry to promote Singapore as a dynamic international financial centre. It facilitates the development of infrastructure, adoption of technology, and upgrading of skills in the financial industry.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (“DTTL”), its global network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL (also referred to as “Deloitte Global”) and each of its member firms and their affiliated entities are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL does not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more.
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax & legal and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organisation”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
Deloitte Asia Pacific Limited is a company limited by guarantee and a member firm of DTTL. Members of Deloitte Asia Pacific Limited and their related entities, each of which are separate and independent legal entities, provide services from more than 100 cities across the region, including Auckland, Bangkok, Beijing, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Melbourne, Osaka, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei, Tokyo and Yangon.
© 2019 Deloitte Southeast Asia Ltd
About S&P Global Market Intelligence
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help clients track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuations and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI). For more information, visit www.spglobal.com.
1 API Exchange (APIX) is a global cloud-based platform with three distinct value propositions: (i) allowing financial institutions and FinTech firms to discover and connect with one another through a globally curated FinTech marketplace; (ii) providing a sandbox environment that is connected to the marketplace, which allows financial institutions and FinTechs to collaboratively design experiments to validate solutions in different scenarios using synthetic data, without the need to invest in expensive infrastructure to test and adopt solutions; and (iii) facilitating financial institutions’ adoption of APIs to deploy new digital transformation solutions that can drive financial inclusion across ASEAN and beyond. Find out more on www.apixplatform.com.
For media queries, please contact:
Assistant Director (Communications)
Monetary Authority of Singapore
Tel: +65 62299262
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +65 6531 5203
Email: [email protected]
S&P Global Market Intelligence
Tel: +852 2841 1007
Email: [email protected]
Asia Research News proudly partners with this event. If you attend, keep an eye out for print copies of the Asia Research News magazine!
Asia Research News partners with more than 80 R&D conferences and events all over the world, helping raise awareness about the events and providing complimentary copies of Asia Research News magazine to delegates. Learn more about media partnerships or participating in the magazine.