Dr. Sravya Tekumalla
Dr. Sravya Tekumalla is a Materials Scientist, working on unravelling the potential of different novel and advanced metallic materials for several applications suiting different requirements including that of aerospace, automobile, biomedical and electronic applications.
She holds a Doctor of Philosophy from the National University of Singapore (NUS) for her work on Futuristic In-Situ and Ex-Situ Approaches for Synthesis of Superior Magnesium Nanocomposites. She later went on to do a Postdoctorate at NUS on Ignition/Flame Resistant Materials for Aerospace/Defense Applications. She is currently working on Additively manufactured Beta type Titanium alloys for Biomedical Applications as part of her NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship.
She has co-authored 1 book, 2 book chapters, and published over 20 scientific articles in international peer-reviewed journals in the field of metallic materials traversing the space of processing-microstructure-property-performance relationships (also referred to as the materials science paradigm).
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering (Materials), National University of Singapore, Singapore (2018).
- B.Eng. (Gold Medalist) Metallurgical Engineering, Andhra University, India (2014).
- NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2019
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship, 2019
- Rising Star, Women in Engineering, Asian Deans’ Forum, Seoul, 2019
- Sparrho’s Early Career Researcher Hero, 2017
- Best Paper Award, International Conference and Expo on Magnesium, 2016
- Pratibha Award, Government of Andhra Pradesh, India, 2015
- Best Student Award, Indian Institute of Metals (Visakhapatnam Chapter), 2014
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) WISE Scholarship, 2013
Research Interests: Processing, Microstructure, Mechanical Behavior, Additive and Subtractive Manufacturing, Material Design, Alloys and Composites, Light Metals
Areas of expertise: Metal Additive manufacturing; Metallurgical Engineering
Selected media coverage:
- S. Seetharaman, S. Tekumalla, M. Gupta, Magnesium-Based Nanocomposites: Advances and Applications, IOP Publishing (2020) https://iopscience.iop.org/book/978-0-7503-3535-5.
- S. Tekumalla, M. Gupta, Introductory Chapter: An Insight into Fascinating Potential of Magnesium, in Magnesium - The Wonder Element for Engineering/Biomedical Applications, Editor: Manoj Gupta, IntechOpen (2020).
- S. Gao, H. Zhiheng, M. Duchamp, P. S. S. Rama Krishnan, S. Tekumalla, S. Xu, M. Seita, Recrystallization-based grain boundary engineering of 316L stainless steel produced via selective laser melting, Acta Materialia,200 (2020) 366-377.
- R. Pandey, S. Tekumalla, M. Gupta, Magnesium-iron micro-composite for enhanced shielding of electromagnetic pollution, Composites Part B: Engineering, 163 (2019) 150-157.
- S. Tekumalla, N. Bibhanshu, R. Shabadi, S. Suwas, T.M.H. Ha, M. Gupta, Evolution of texture and asymmetry and its impact on the fatigue behaviour of an in-situ magnesium nanocomposite, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 727 (2018) 61-69.
- S. Tekumalla, Y. Nandigam, N. Bibhanshu, S. Rajashekara, C. Yang, S. Suwas, M. Gupta, A strong and deformable in-situ magnesium nanocomposite igniting above 1000 °C, Scientific Reports, 8 (2018) 7038.
- S. Tekumalla, R. Shabadi, C. Yang, S. Seetharaman, M. Gupta, Strengthening due to the in-situ evolution of ß1′ Mg-Zn rich phase in a ZnO nanoparticles introduced Mg-Y alloy, Scripta Materialia, 133 (2017) 29-32.