Dr. Michael Angelo Promentilla
Michael Angelo B. Promentilla is a Professor of Chemical Engineering and the head of the Waste and Resource Management Unit of the Center for Engineering and Sustainable Development Research (CESDR) at De La Salle University (DLSU). His research interests vary from a wide spectrum of application of decision modeling and risk analysis to environmental and energy systems, as well as, to the design and characterization of sustainable engineering materials. He also worked with Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD-DOST) to develop a research roadmap toward a climate-smart and disaster-resilient health system under the ASEAN Science and Technology fellowship program. He is also the program leader and project head of several projects such as that of “Green Mining” and “NexCities” research program being funded by the Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST PCIEERD).
Dr. Promentilla received his BS in chemical engineering (cum laude) and MS in chemical engineering from University of the Philippines Los Banos (UPLB) and UP Diliman (UPD), respectively. He received his doctorate degree in socio-environmental engineering with a Monbukagakusho scholarship from Hokkaido University, Japan. He was also a research fellow at Hokkaido University and Tokyo Institute of Technology under the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) program. Dr. Promentilla was recognized in 2013 as one of the Outstanding Young Scientists in the field of socio-environmental engineering by the Philippine National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST). Recently, he is the recipient of UPLB Alumni Association’s 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award and DLSU’s Pillar of Lasallian Excellence Award in Research. He is also the recipient of multiple scientific awards from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) and the Japan Concrete Institute (JCI). He currently has more than 100 publications with a Google scholar h-index of 19. He is actively involved in mentoring young researchers and the founding Head of the Geopolymer and Advanced Materials Engineering Research for Sustainability (G.A.M.E.R.S.) Lab situated at DLSU.
Google Scholar-indexed publication: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=dehlc9UAAAAJ&hl=en (h-index: 20)
Selected Publications and Reports: out of 122 Scopus-listed publications, h-index = 17
- Promentilla, M.A.B., Janairo, J.I.B., Yu, D.E.C., Pausta, C.M.J., Beltran, A.B., Huelgas-Orbecido, A.P., Tapia, J.F.D., Aviso, K.B., Tan, R.R. A stochastic fuzzy multi-criteria decision-making model for optimal selection of clean technologies (2018) Journal of Cleaner Production, 183, pp. 1289-1299.
- Malenab RAJ, Ngo JPS, Promentilla MAB. Chemical Treatment of Waste Abaca for Natural Fiber-Reinforced Geopolymer Composite. Materials. 2017; 10(6):579.
- Tapia, J.F.D., Promentilla, M.A.B., Tseng, M.-L., Tan, R.R. Screening of carbon dioxide utilization options using hybrid Analytic Hierarchy Process-Data Envelopment Analysis method (2017) Journal of Cleaner Production, 165, pp. 1361-1370.
- Khang, D.S., Tan, R.R., Uy, O.M., Promentilla, M.A.B., Tuan, P.D., Abe, N., Razon, L.F. Design of experiments for global sensitivity analysis in life cycle assessment: The case of biodiesel in Vietnam (2017) Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 119, pp. 12-23.
- Janairo, J.I.B., Degaños, S.-M.L., Lim, R.A.G.S., San Pedro, J.K.M., Toriaga, F.J.P., Haygood, K.J.F., Promentilla, M.A.B. Occurrence of Near – Petal Effect on the Leaf Surface of Annona squamosa (2016) BioNanoScience, 6 (4), pp. 272-275.
- Promentilla, M.A.B., Thang, N.H., Kien, P.T., Hinode, H., Bacani, F.T., Gallardo, S.M. Optimizing Ternary-blended Geopolymers with Multi-response Surface Analysis (2016) Waste and Biomass Valorization, 7 (4), pp. 929-939.
- Kalaw M., Culaba A., Hinode H., Kurniawan W., Gallardo. S. and Promentilla, M.A. Optimizing and Characterizing Geopolymers from Ternary Blend of Philippine Coal Fly Ash, Coal Bottom Ash and Rice Hull Ash (2016) Materials 2016, 9(7), 580.
- Hoa, N.T., Dien, L.Q., Promentilla, M.A.B., Yu, K.D.S., Aviso, K.B. A model for multi-criterion disaster vulnerability assessment of economic systems: implications for Vietnam’s bioethanol policy (2016) Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 18 (6), pp. 1917-1929.
- Bacudio, L.R., Benjamin, M.F.D., Eusebio, R.C.P., Holaysan, S.A.K., Promentilla, M.A.B., Yu, K.D.S., Aviso, K.B. Analyzing barriers to implementing industrial symbiosis networks using DEMATEL (2016) Sustainable Production and Consumption, 7, pp. 57-65.
10. Yu, K.D.S., Aviso, K.B., Promentilla, M.A.B., Santos, J.R., Tan, R.R. A weighted fuzzy linear programming model in economic input–output analysis: an application to risk management of energy system disruptions (2016) Environment Systems and Decisions, 36 (2), pp. 183-195.
11. Ubando, A.T., Cuello, J.L., El-Halwagi, M.M., Culaba, A.B., Promentilla, M.A.B., Tan, R.R. Application of stochastic analytic hierarchy process for evaluating algal cultivation systems for sustainable biofuel production (2016) Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 18 (5), pp. 1281-1294.
12. Promentilla, M.A.B., Cortez, S.M., Papel, R.A.D.C., Tablada, B.M., Sugiyama, T. Evaluation of microstructure and transport properties of deteriorated cementitious materials from their X-ray computed tomography (CT) images (2016) Materials, 9 (5), art. no. 388.
13. Khang, D.S., Promentilla, M.A.B., Tan, R.R., Abe, N., Tuan, P.D., Razon, L.F. Multi-criteria approach to assess stakeholders preferences for selection of biodiesel feedstock in Vietnam (2016) International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 10 (2-4), pp. 306-331.
14. Aviso, K.B., Amalin, D., Promentilla, M.A.B., Santos, J.R., Yu, K.D.S., Tan, R.R. Risk assessment of the economic impacts of climate change on the implementation of mandatory biodiesel blending programs: A fuzzy inoperability input-output modeling (IIM) approach(2015) Biomass and Bioenergy, 83, pp. 436-447.
15. Lopez, N., Mara, B., Mercado, B., Mercado, L., Pascual, M., Promentilla, M.A. Design of modified Magnus wind rotors using computational fluid dynamics simulation and multi-response optimization (2015) Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 7 (6), art. no. 063135, .
16. Tan, R.R., Aviso, K.B., Promentilla, M.A.B., Yu, K.D.S., Santos, J.R. Development of a fuzzy linear programming model for allocation of inoperability in economic sectors due to loss of natural resource inputs (2015) DLSU Business and Economics Review, 24 (2), pp. 1-12.
17. Tan, R.R., Aviso, K.B., Promentilla, M.A.B., Solis, F.D.B., Yu, K.D.S., Santos, J.R. A shock absorption index for inoperability input-output models (2015) Economic Systems Research, 27 (1), pp. 43-59.
18. Aviso, K.B., Cayamanda, C.D., Solis, F.D.B., Danga, A.M.R., Promentilla, M.A.B., Yu, K.D.S., Santos, J.R., Tan, R.R. P-graph approach for GDP-optimal allocation of resources, commodities and capital in economic systems under climate change-induced crisis conditions (2015) Journal of Cleaner Production, 92, pp. 308-317.
19. Yu, K.D.S., Tan, R.R., Aviso, K.B., Promentilla, M.A.B., Santos, J.R. A vulnerability index for post-disaster key sector prioritization (2014) Economic Systems Research, 26 (1), pp. 81-97.
20. Promentilla, M.A.B., Tapia, J.F.D., Arcilla, C.A., Dugos, N.P., Gaspillo, P.D., Roces, S.A., Tan, R.R. Interdependent ranking of sources and sinks in CCS systems using the analytic network process (2013) Environmental Modelling and Software, 50, pp. 21-24.
21. Promentilla, M.A.B., De la Cruz, C.A.M., Angeles, K.C., Tan, K.G. Evaluating climate change mitigation options in the philippines with analytic hierarchy process (AHP) (2013) ASEAN Journal of Chemical Engineering, 13 (1), pp. 61-66.
22. Darma, I.S., Sugiyama, T., Promentilla, M.A.B. Application of X-ray CT to study diffusivity in cracked concrete through the observation of tracer transport (2013) Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 11 (10), pp. 266-281.
23. Tan, R.R., Promentilla, M.A.B. A methodology for augmenting sparse pairwise comparison matrices in AHP: Applications to energy systems (2013) Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 15 (4), pp. 713-719.
24. Promentilla, M.A.B., Sugiyama, T., Hitomi, T., Takeda, N. Quantification of tortuosity in hardened cement pastes using synchrotron-based X-ray computed microtomography (2009) Cement and Concrete Research, 39 (6), pp. 548-557.
25. Promentilla, M.A.B., Furuichi, T., Ishii, K., Tanikawa, N. A fuzzy analytic network process for multi-criteria evaluation of contaminated site remedial countermeasures (2008) Journal of Environmental Management, 88 (3), pp. 479-495.